Time to Awaken Democracy!
Canberra’s first Festival of Democracy was held over the weekend of 18-19 June 2016 at the University of Canberra. It involved participants in a deep, rich and respectful conversation that fostered an understanding of
- power as a concept
- the different ways to frame power
and exposure to
- the mechanics of power
- effective representation
- improving the legitimacy and accountability of elected representatives
- how people actually make change happen.
CAPaD stands for defining the transformational change we want for democracy in Canberra and looking for ways participants might engage in such a change.
We stand for ‘learning through conversation’ as a process to provide Canberrans with a stimulating and engaging event from which plans for further action will arise.
Main Discussion Topics
- Recognising Power
- Nurturing Citizens’ Power
- Roles and types of representation and participation
- Holding our MPs to account
- How change happens
- What does change entail?
|Agents for Change Model
|Possible Path Beyond Democracy
|Range of Participation