Photo by Brian Rope
Economic Democracy vs Neoliberalism
- Book Review : The Divine Right of Capital by Marjorie Kelly. Essential reading. The modern corporation and its largest shareholders today occupy the place in society formerly occupied by “divinely-appointed” royalty. Ideas for how to deal with it.
- Ethical Investor : ACCR will appeal Federal Court decision in its fight for shareholder rights, by Ross Kendall. In Australia “shareholders — the owners of a company — can only comment on the behaviour of their company by attempting to change the company’s constitution.” — unlike the rest of the Anglosphere. (11/08/2015)
- First global review of self-regulation : covers many sectors of the economy. Shows that in 82% of the 161 schemes it assessed, voluntary measures have failed. (Nov 2015)
- The Guardian : The gathering financial storm is just one effect of corporate power unbound, by George Monbiot. “I suspect that governments know as well as anyone that law is more efficient and effective than self-regulation, which is why it is not used.” (4/11/2015)
- Wolf Street : Uruguay Does Unthinkable, Rejects Global Corporatocracy. It does not sell its sovereignty for the sake of [the TISA] trade deal. “The historic decision is met by a wall of media silence.” (22/09/2015)
- Counterpunch.org : Parasites in the Body Economic: the Disasters of Neoliberalism, an interview with Michael Hudson. His view of the corporate kleptocracy running much of the world, our feudal system that never went away. (21/09/2015)
- The Guardian : Don’t let the Nobel prize fool you. Economics is not a science, by Joris Luyendijk. “The award glorifies economists as tellers of timeless truths, fostering hubris and leading to disaster.” (12/10/2015)
- The Guardian (book review) : 23 Things they don’t tell you about Capitalism, by Ha-Joon Chang. “Economics, as it has been practised in the last three decades, has been positively harmful for most people.”
- Youtube : George Monbiot in Edinburgh : He describes the origins, history and modus operandi of neoliberalism from a leftist point of view. (31/03/2016)
- Marc Hudson : Save Karen and the “Limits” of Australian Democracy. Some ways in which the neoliberal empire strikes back.
- Tom G. Palmer : Twenty Myths about Markets, (PDF download) a paper defending the market system, written from the neoliberal point of view. (26/02/2007)